Job Vacancy - Marketing & Communications Manager
The Wine Company is a thriving independent and family-led wine business whose head office is based within an idyllic countryside estate office benefitting from easy access between Ipswich and Colchester, via the A12. Our wine cellar shop and local distribution depot are located just a short drive away.
DIRECT TO CONSUMER SPECIALISTS:
The Wine Company is widely regarded as a leading direct-to-consumer independent wine merchant. The founder, Johnny Wheeler, is the 6th generation of the Wheeler family to lead a successful wine business, which has two trading brands: Mr.Wheeler and the recently acquired FromVineyardsDirect. Both brands put a strong emphasis on high quality drinking wines between £10 and £40 a bottle, mostly shipped from growers in France, Italy and Spain; and well as further afield as New Zealand, South Africa and Argentina. The Company also has a growing fine wine business, with a dedicated team.
The origins of Mr.Wheeler date back to 1883, when George Wheeler, the great-great-grandfather of our current Chairman, Johnny Wheeler, first joined the wine industry – and the family business, supplying fine wine to a discerning clientele, began. We are part of a new generation of independent wine specialist, with the heritage, expertise, and attentive personal service of an old-style merchant, yet with the tech-savvy approach and grasp of contemporary lifestyle choices you’d expect from a twenty first century wine merchant. Mr.Wheeler always ensure consistent high quality, whatever type of wine you enjoy.
FromVineyardsDirect was the brainchild of David Campbell and Esme Johnstone and was acquired by The Wine Company in September 2019. We offer a handpicked range of delicious drinking wines, principally from France, Italy and Spain, imported direct from the growers and delivered to your door at the click of a mouse at prices well below traditional merchants.
We are looking for a Marketing and Communications Manager to take ownership of direct marketing campaigns across print and digital media, taking responsibility for their results and working to continually optimise and ensure that they meet and exceed business targets. A creative and lateral thinker, with excellent communication skills, you will successfully shape and deliver innovative, effective, and engaging integrated campaigns. Wine is a passion and your written skills are key to success within this role. You will work closely with the operations and digital teams, as well as external agencies.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Help define, and ultimately own, the marketing plan for Mr.Wheeler and FromVineyardsDirect
- Manage and lead multi-channel marketing campaigns in order to achieve the communications programme targets.
- Project manage offline campaigns, working with internal teams and external agencies, to ensure delivery is accurate, on time and within budget.
- Generate new ideas for promoting products and services to customers.
- Help maintain a consistent tone of voice and persona for each brand, working to brand guidelines and closely with key stakeholders.
- Manage the Company’s social channels and schedule, including the blog (with contributors)
- Oversee media relations and press enquiries.
- Work with the online manager to support the housekeeping of the website with engaging copy and creative input.
- Analyse and evaluate campaign results and implementation of plans to maximise success in each programme.
CANDIDATE SKILLS AND DESIRED EXPERIENCE:
- 5 years of communications and marketing experience, including knowledge of omni-channel campaigns and project management experience. Direct Marketing background would be an advantage.
- A self-starter with the ability to use your initiative.
- Highly developed written skills.
- Numerate with strong analytical and verbal communication skills.
- Strong business awareness with an ability to define and manage expectations.
- The ability to manage multiple projects and work to tight deadlines.
- Able to work as a project leader with clarity of objectives and defined methods.
- Effective prioritisation and organisational skills.
- A strong team player.
- An excellent eye for detail.
- A creative and innovative thinker.
- Wine trade experience is desired, but not essential.
Email applications to Janie Barbiaux at [email protected] Applicants should attach a current CV and letter of application summarising why the position is of interest, and their suitability for the role. Applications close on THURSDAY 30th SEPTEMBER 2021